Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Solo

Yesterday morning in Telluride, Cody announced his plans to quit the tour for a number of different personal reasons. In actuality, he said that he was thinking about quitting and that I should go on ahead of him and he would make up his mind after a few hours rest and either see me on down the track or make his way home.

I took this to mean that he was indeed quitting because we were to summit Lizard Head Pass (10,222 feet) and an early start is critical for avoiding thunderstorms at higher elevations. It was either now or never. So I decided to press on by myself. I planned to reach the top around 11:00 am, so as to be descending before noon. A few miles from the top, even at 10:00 in the morning, things started getting dicey.

A mile from the top, lightning struck very nearby and so I turned around and waited for an hour on someone's porch. Things didn't really clear, but most of the rumbling had subsided, so I got back on the bike and, after summiting, coasted to a nice little town called Rico, thunder rumbling all around once again. I lunched and had a delightful conversation with a man, Felix Snow, who is a motivational speaker. Felix was in a car accident in 1995 and is now in a wheelchair. Chew on this: he skiied Telluride something like 37 days this year.

I rolled on to Dolores to wait for a riding partner I knew wouldn't materialize. When a phonecall confirmed my solitude, I ate dinner, slept at a B&B and awoke at 4:45 this morning to get an early start. I am slightly disheartened to go it alone, especially through the most barren country, but I must press on. I am ready to be done. I feel like everyday is a fight for my life to avoid lightning, to beat heat, just to make it to the next town. I am ready to get my old life back. I am tired of racing around on this bicycle. All bicycling is a race: a race to get out the door in the morning; a race to find food; a race to find the restroom; a race to find shelter from sinister black stormclouds; a race to find a place to sleep by dark; a race to get home. Sigh.

I'm 8 miles from the Utah border and from completing my sixth state and nearly 2700 miles. Bring on the desert.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, buddy. You're almost done.

Anonymous said...

You can do this, John! I'm really impressed at your progress so far. I'm praying for an extra measure of strength for you and for some encouraging company.

Keep on bikin' and bloggin'!

Glen F.

Anonymous said...

You'll make it and you'll be glad you did. This is an adventure you won't forget for the rest of your life. You'll tell your kids and grandkids about it...little Zambos...scary. Just kidding.

Seriously though, you are hardly riding solo. God's been riding alongside you since day 1. Don't forget that!

Kacie

Anonymous said...

Zambo, this ride through the desert is like one of those mystical coming-of-age stories. Maybe you will see a lizard with a coyote tail and he will give you a flute made of cactus needles that whenever you play will call up your spirit guide, who is also a lizard with a coyote tail, except not the same one who gave you the flute.

So always accept gifts from strangers, because it's bad luck not to in the desert, and don't drink from any desert pools, unless the coyote-lizard tells you to. Oh, and carry a mirror so you can see the true nature of any crows who don't cast shadows.

all the best,
ashleigh

Anonymous said...

You know who DIDN'T bike all the way across America? George Washington. Are you more awesome than George Washington? I'm not going to say anything except that numbers don't lie...

Tyler

Anonymous said...

If you see ANY of the things Ashleigh spoke of in her post, pull over and call 911! Next, call home - I will of course have my SSN ready and be on the first plane to wherever you are! :o) Praying for your protection and strength. xo mom and dad

Anonymous said...

Rock it on John! I am loving to read about your trip. Too bad for Cody he can't finish, but you are going strong. I can't believe you are already to Utah! That is so exciting! Interesting how you say "all cycling is a race" In fact I have a poster on my wall that reads "To ride is to compete, even if you are alone". I am sure you know that to be true by now. In fact, could we not even say, along the same lines as you were talking about, that all of life is a race. You race to get to class, or to work, race to finish a project or just to finish lunch. Try to find time to squeeze God into your day, and race to make some money before that day is over. So the question that remains is, what are we racing for? While the ride to the west coast may not exactly win you the imperishable crown Paul talks about in Romans, I hope the two are linked in your life. The memories and life experiences you are building will pay huge dividends in the future. You started alone, but you no longer are. You have built ties into the lives of other individuals that remain connected to your journey and forever will. Friends you have made along the way, those who have ridden with you, all of us who read your blog, we are all with you in spirit, calling out encouragement as you ride. I can only say, as you enter this tough part at the beginning of the end of your ride, that with such a great cloud of witnesses, ride the road before you, for the praise of your family, for the admiration of your friends, and for the Glory of God. Lean on Him as you journey on, that your time may not be a mere 'getting done', but that this last leg may be a great time of renewal, of discovery, and of triumph. Ride on!
Stephen

JimmyZ said...

You know you are not going it alone John. Know that we are all with you. Value this time of solitude and occasional fellowship. Enjoy the desert. I am reminded of a book by Carlos Castaneda called "The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge" And the quote therein:

For me there is only the traveling on the paths that have heart, on any path that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge for me is to traverse its full length. And there I travel—looking, looking, breathlessly.

It's a good desert read if you find a used book store, especially since your on a path that is all heart.

Anonymous said...

Just look at the scenery. It will be unbelievable. It might be hot and with some steep canyons, but incredibly beautiful.

I found it very peaceful.

Ciao
Paolo

sf said...

Hey John, you are doing just great man! You are awesome! Just keep it up. I know when you talk about wanting this to be over that you are just muttering what is really on your mind. When I met you in Virginia I was to the point of saying, "What the hell was I thinking?!" It was riders like you who gave me inspiration to do that last four hundred miles and it was also friends and family, such as yours, who are watching you who gave me strength. I watch every single day to see if you have made a journal entry. I like to see where you are and I also want to make sure you are okay. There are a ton of things, as you are aware, that can cause you a lot of grief. I also noticed by the comments to this journal entry that people are looking at your blog around the clock. JimmyZ wrote at 2:45 AM and Paolo wrote at 5:57 AM. You have ignited a spark in the lives of a lot of people, John, and this doesn't include all the people who don't write.

You mentioned that life is a race. I keep a poster which says, "The race is not always to the winner, but to those who refuse to quit." You keep going Winner! You keep plugging away and when that salt drips into your lips, think of it as the taste of the Pacific Ocean when you dip your tire. Man, you make me really proud and I am so happy you shared a small part of your life with me.
Steve
www.grandpalosthismind.com

Unknown said...

You don't know me, you probably never will but I happen to just stumble upon your blog and I've been intrigued! You really are doing something amazing in the great scope of things!
I cannot imagine taking on a task such as yours voluntarily and happily!
Keep up the great riding and remember God and it appears your friends and family always are with you!!!
"Following" From New Jersey

Anonymous said...

keep on truckin'...errr....yeah, go!

Anonymous said...

You may not realize this, but people whom you have never met are reading along with your ride. We're living the ride through you and because of you, are having an experience that was never possible for us otherwise. Keep going. Press on toward the prize. Keep writing -- because I'm going to keep reading.